Home 5 Pension 5 State Pension if you retire abroad

State Pension if you retire abroad

3 August 2023

Retiring abroad? Claim your UK State Pension with qualifying NIC contributions. Yearly increases apply in specific countries like EEA, Switzerland. Use the International Pension Centre or claim form. Consider the tax implications and payment options.

If you are retiring abroad, you are still entitled to claim your UK State Pension as long as you have built up a suitable amount of qualifying years of NIC contributions. However, your entitlement to yearly increases in the State Pension only apply in certain countries.


The increases only apply if you live in:

  • The European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.
  • A country that has a social security agreement with the UK that allows for cost of living increases to the State Pension. Note, the UK has social security agreements with Canada and New Zealand, but you cannot get a yearly increase in your UK State Pension if you live in either of those countries.

If you do not qualify for the annual increase in the State Pension but move back to the UK then your pension will revert to the current rate.

If you are living abroad, you must be within four months of your State Pension age to claim.

Claiming your Pension

To claim your pension, you can either:

You can elect to have your pension paid into a UK or foreign bank account. There are also tax implications that need to be considered. If your country of residence does not have a double taxation agreement with the UK, you may pay tax in both places.

Source: HM Government Tue, 01 Aug 2023 00:00:00 +0100

You may also like these

Here are some more articles that might interest you

Expert Advice

If you’d like more information on anything you’ve read, we’re here and happy to help