Home 5 Income Tax 5 Do you need to register for Self-Assessment?

Do you need to register for Self-Assessment?

28 September 2023

New Self-Assessment taxpayers must inform HMRC by October 5, 2023, for the 2022-23 tax year. Common reasons include various income sources, property ownership, and partnership involvement. HMRC's online tool provides guidance.

Taxpayers that need to complete a Self-Assessment return for the first time are required to notify HMRC. This is a final reminder that the latest date that HMRC should be notified, by new Self-Assessment taxpayers, for the 2022-23 tax year, is 5 October 2023. The deadline for filing the 2022-23 Self-Assessment tax return online and paying any tax due is 31 January 2024.

Reasons for Self-Assessment

There are a number of reasons why you might need to complete a Self-Assessment return for the first time. This includes if you are self-employed, have an annual income over £100,000 and / or have income from savings, investment or property.

The £100,000 income threshold for Self-Assessment changed for taxpayers who are only taxed through PAYE. It increased from £100,000 to £150,000 with effect from 6 April 2023. However, the Assessment threshold for 2022-23 returns remains at £100,000.

Using HMRC’s Online Tool

HMRC has an online tool www.gov.uk/check-if-you-need-tax-return/ that can help you check if you are required to submit a Self-Assessment return.

The following list summarises some of the reasons when taxpayers are usually required to submit a Self-Assessment return:

  • The newly self-employed (earning more than £1,000);
  • Multiple sources of income;
  • Taxpayers that have received any untaxed income, for example earning money for creating online content;
  • Income over £100,000;
  • earn income from property that they own and rent out;
  • are a new partner in a business partnership;
  • Taxpayers whose income (or that of their partner’s) was over £50,000 and one of you claimed Child Benefit;
  • Receiving interest on savings or investment income of £10,000 or more before tax;
  • Taxpayers who made profits from selling things like shares, a second home or other chargeable assets and need to pay Capital Gains Tax; and
  • Taxpayers who are self-employed and earn less than £1,000 but wish to pay Class 2 NICs voluntarily to protect their entitlement to State Pension and certain benefits.
Source: HM Revenue & Customs Tue, 26 Sep 2023 00:00:00 +0100

You may also like these

Here are some more articles that might interest you

Expert Advice

If you’d like more information on anything you’ve read, we’re here and happy to help