Home 5 General 5 Child Benefit for 16 – 19 year olds

Child Benefit for 16 – 19 year olds

17 June 2024

More than a million parents will receive reminders to extend Child Benefit for their teenagers if they are continuing their education or training after their GCSEs.

Child Benefit Extension Reminder

Reminders will go out to over a million parents. They need to extend Child Benefit for teenagers continuing education or training after GCSEs.

Between 24 May and 17 July, HMRC will send 1.4 million Child Benefit reconfirmation letters. These letters contain a QR code. Scanning it takes parents straight to GOV.UK to update their claim online.


Details and Deadlines

Child Benefit amounts to up to £1,331 a year for the first or only child. Each additional child can get up to £881 a year. If parents don’t renew their claim where their child is continuing in education, payments stop automatically on 31 August after the child turns 16.

Parents must act by 31 August. Otherwise, their payments will stop automatically.

The quickest way to sort this out is to let HMRC know digitally that a child is continuing in education. There’s no need to contact HMRC by phone or post.

Don’t worry if you haven’t received a letter by 17 July. If eligible, you can still extend your Child Benefit claim via GOV.UK or the HMRC app.


Eligibility and Online Services

Child Benefit can continue to be paid for children who are studying full time in approved non-advanced education, which includes:

  • A levels or Scottish Highers
  • International Baccalaureate
  • Home education – if it started before their child turned 16, or after 16 if they have a statement of special educational needs and it was assessed by the local authority
  • T levels
  • NVQs, up to level 3.

Child Benefit will also continue for children studying on one of these unpaid approved training courses:

  • in Wales: Foundation Apprenticeships, Traineeships or the Jobs Growth Wales+ scheme;
  • in Northern Ireland: PEACEPLUS Youth Programme 3.2, Training for Success or Skills for Life and Work;
  • in Scotland: Employability Fund programme and No One Left Behind.

If a child changes their mind about further education or training, parents can simply inform HMRC online or in the HMRC app and payments will be adjusted accordingly.

Parents will need a Government Gateway user ID and password to use HMRC’s online services. If they do not have one already, they can register on GOV.UK  and will just need their National Insurance number or postcode, and 2 forms of ID.

Source: Other Mon, 17 Jun 2024 00:00:00 +0100

You may also like these

Here are some more articles that might interest you

Expert Advice

If you’d like more information on anything you’ve read, we’re here and happy to help